MAINTENANCE TO PERFORM 2-3 TIMES EACH MONTH:
(Print this page for reference before
Perform these tasks for all
computers running Windows operating systems. If you're running
Windows 98 or later, you should also clear out unused and
temp files - this will free up disk space and speed things
up too. These maintenance tasks empty your recycle bin, so
don't do it unless you know that everything you've recently
deleted you really want to say 'adios' to! This may sound
confusing, but after you do it a few times, it's a piece of
cake. Basically you're doing 3 maintenance tasks:
1. Discarding unnecessary files
2. Scanning your drive for errors
3. Defragmenting your drive and putting all the pieces and
parts back where they belong
The final step (defrag) may
take a while the first time (45 min. - hour or so is not unusual,
maybe more, maybe less) , just go get a cup of coffee and
wait 'til it finishes.
First, Disable Or Turn Off Screen Saver
and Close All Running Programs:
- To disable screen saver: right click on blank area of desktop
(that's your start up screen with all the icons)
- Click on 'properties'
- Click on 'screen saver' tab
- Select 'none' in 'screen saver' drop down menu box
- Click 'ok'
- To close all running programs: hit and hold down CTR, hit
and hold down ALT then hit DEL (do this only one time, doing
it twice in a row restarts your computer)
- In the dialog box that pops up, close all programs EXCEPT
EXPLORER & SYSTRAY by selecting each program and hitting
'end task'. You can only close one program at a time, so do the CTRL+ALT+DEL
step and close all programs one at a time until all are closed
- remember, do not close EXPLORER & SYSTRAY!
- From your desktop double-click on 'my computer' icon (should
be in upper left corner of screen)
- Right click on 'c drive'
- Click on 'properties'
Disk Clean Up (Win98 or later - otherwise skip to step
- Click on 'general' tab
- Click on 'disk cleanup' (make sure all boxes are checked)
- Click on 'ok', confirm 'yes' - when it finishes you'll be
back to 'general' tab of 'properties' box
Scan Disk for Errors:
- Click on tab that says 'tools'
- Click on 'check for errors' (when the box pops up, check
for 3 things: 'c' drive should be highlighted, 'standard'
should be selected, and 'auto fix errors' should be checked)
- Click 'start'. When Scan finishes it'll pop up a results
- Click 'ok', then 'ok' again - when it finishes you'll be
back to 'tools' tab of 'properties' box
- Click on 'defrag'
- Click 'ok' to close when it finishes
- Turn screen saver back on
- Restart computer
RETURN TO PREVIOUS